October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month. In honor of this month, I wanted to write very quickly about knowing someone that has Down Syndrome. It's very common knowledge how much I love this not-so little guy. He was actually my final photo project when he was a year old, seen here. We live in a society that sometimes promotes ableism, that cultivates fear when life doesn't go our way, and an insatiable need for perfection. I made it a personal goal to make sure that all throughout his life he knows that he is accepted and loved. What I didn't realize that Knightly teaches me more about life, acceptance and self-love more than anyone I know. Here are other reasons why I love him:
- He reminds me that anything made by God is fearfully and wonderfully made, and whatever speed bumps Knightly has in his life, that he was God & his family on his side.
- He reminds me that I am capable of doing anything that I set my mind to, even the ones that seem impossible.
- He motivates me to help create a better place in this world for folks like him.
- He teaches me the importance not just tolerance, but acceptance.
- He shows me how simple love & happiness can really be.
- He gives the most amazing and comforting hugs.
I can say many more things about him, but I am so blessed to have him as a constant light that has given my family and myself the simplest and purest joy.